Most chemists and chemical engineers know the use of ATR-FTIR to monitor multi-step complex chemical reactions. The technology has even become a staple for them in academic and industry labs over the past 20 years. Fewer people are familiar with the use in chemical material science, although they help provide a better understanding of the relationship between product structure and properties. As a result, in situ ATR-FTIR (ReactIR) offers invaluable value to enhance the productivity of the research and development process as well as the quality of chemical products and material meeting our everyday societal needs. Many publications and patents are mainly available covering the preparation of bio-based material containing functional additives, polymer films and latexes for coating, as well as surface protection. Several are from James Rawlins and Shelby Thames at the School of Polymers and High Performance Materials, University of Southern Mississippi, as well as from Tim Long at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Trying to list them all would be an impossible task but I selected a few that I hope will generate interest some readers.
As always, enjoy reading and please feel free to suggest any topic you might be interested in!
- Eric B. Williams, Melinda Waleb, Steve McDaniel, and James W.Rawlins. “Bio-Based Materials in a Synthetic World: Activity and Longevity in Functional Films” American Coating Conference, April 2010, available at http://cfile207.uf.daum.net/attach/135F164A4E71AD0B101EDB
- James W. Rawlins, Shelby F. London Current time Thames et al.; “Synthesis and Characterization of a Soybean Oil-Based Macromonomer” J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2014, DOI: 10.1002/APP.40249
- James W. Rawlins, Shelby F. London Current time Thames et al.; “Spectroscopic Analysis of Cotton Treated with Neutralized Maleinized Soybean Oil” J. Am. Oil Chemistry. Soc. 2011, 88, 681–687, DOI 10.1007/s11746-010-1712-9
- James W. Rawlins, et al.; “Chain Transfer of Vegetable Oil Macromonomers in Acrylic Solution Copolymerization” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 120, 1390–1396, 2011
- James W. Rawlins, et al.; ” Synthesis and evaluation of tetra(2,7-octadienyl) titanate as a reactive diluent for air-drying alkyd paints” J. Coat. Technol. Res., 8 (1), 45–52, 2011,DOI 10.1007/s11998-010-9276-z
- Y. He, E. S. Daniels, A. Klein, M. S. El-Aasser; “Study of the Consumption of TMI in Latex Using
- Attenuated Total Reflectance FTIR (ATR–FTIR)” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 1967–1973, 6 September 1997
- Renata Jovanovic, Marc A. Dube; ” Off-Line Monitoring of Butyl Acrylate and Vinyl Acetate
- Homopolymerization and Copolymerization in Toluene” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Volume 82, Issue 12, pages 2958–2977, 13 December 2001
- Martin Alm, Harald Behl, Kjeld Schaumburg; “Kinetics of the free radical polymerization of 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate in supercritical carbon dioxide”
- Anthony J. Pasquale, Timothy E. Long; ” Synthesis of Star-Shaped Polystyrenes via Nitroxide-Mediated Stable Free-Radical Polymerization” Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 216–223, 1 January 2001
- Anthony J. Pasquale, Timothy E. Long; “Real-Time Monitoring of the Stable Free Radical Polymerization of Styrene via in-Situ Mid-Infrared Spectroscopy” Macromolecules 1999, 32, 7954-7957