While preparing to present seminars at Chemical and PetroChemical companies in Texas, I conducted a brief search for scientific publications describing the use of real time in situ ATR-FTIR or reaction calorimetry. The topics cover research from the characterization of surfactants to olefin polymerization and hydroformylation – to name just a few. These studies mostly describe in-depth studies of kinetics, mechanism, and catalytic systems. The search was by no means comprehensive, but I wanted to share these few references with the chemical and engineering community.
- Characterization of Surfactant Phases (micelles…) by IR: J. Phys. Chem. B 2008, 112, 3971-3982
- Alkene or Alkene Oxide Hydroformylation, Determination of Mass Transfer and Kinetics by IR: Chemical Engineering Science 62, 2007, 4967 – 4975; US 7,538,061;
- Monitoring the Disappearance of a Terminal Alkene by IR, e.g. in the transformation of ethylene, propylene, or isobutylene (R.F. Storey, USM): Macromolecules 1998, 31, 1523-1526; Macromolecules 2000, 33, 681-688; Macromolecules 1999, 32, 7003-7011; Polymer, 2003, 44(20), 6179–618;
- Polymerization/Transformation of Propylene Oxide, or Ethylene Oxide, kinetics and Mechanistic Study by IR: J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 7586-7591 (D.J. Darensbourg, Texas A&M); Sensors 2010, 10, 684-696
- Kinetic and Thermodynamic Characterization of Emulsion Polymerization Using Calorimetry: Polymer 46, 2005, 285–294; Journal of Polymer Science: Part A: Polymer Chemistry, Vol. 37, 4073–4089, 1999 and Macromolecules 1999, 32, 4225-4231 (Lehigh University)
- Ethylene Carbonylation, various investigations, including determination of equilibrium constant of Mo catalytic species by IR: Catalysis Today 1999, 49, 431-440; Coordination Chemistry Reviews Volume 254, Issues 15–16, August 2010, 1843–1853
- Treating Biomass to Produce Useful Materials for Biofuels Monitored by IR: US 2012/0122152
- This paper is a good example of using ReactIR for the characterization of ternary systems: J. of Supercritical Fluids 2008, 46, 218–225. I’ve done determination myself from lab through plant scale.